Red Beans and Rice

At least once a week I try to make a meatless meal. This meal could not be more convenient, filling, and affordable. The rascals love some beans, i love that they don't ask where's the beef. A dear friend gave me Art Smith's cookbook as a gift, Art Smith is Oprah's chef...these just happen to be Oprah's favorite red beans and rice. So not only are you eating something good, your eating what Oprah eats. Win, win. The only change I made was instead of brown rice I used white...it's what I had...it's what I like. Oh and I also used chicken stock instead of vegetable, use what you have.
1 vidalia onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 green pepper chopped
1/2 red pepper chopped
4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups water with 3 bouillon cubes
4 cans red beans, rinsed and drained
1 14 ounce can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp (salt free) Creole seasoning
1/2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
hot pepper sauce to taste
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
In a heavy saucepan over medium heat add 1 Tbsp olive oil, add peppers, garlic and onion and saute until soft. Add rest of ingredients and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add more broth or water if beans get dry.
Serve over rice, with hot sauce.







No comments:

Post a Comment