Whoopie Pies!

I am going "old school" on ya'll today. I grew up eating whoopie pies, also known as "Gobs" but since that sounds weird and unappetizing to me...lets just stick with whoopie pies for today shall we? The way I would describe them is like two chocolate cupcake tops smooshing together a marshmallowy, slightly sweet, cloudlike cream center. My kids say big, soft, oreo. Now, for a little background on these yummy treats. It is said they were created in Maine or by the Pennsylvania Dutch. The state of Maine actually made the whoopie pie their official state treat. I could not find my family's original recipe so I did some research and decided to try this one. It is from a book called Whoopie Pies by Sarah Billingsley and Amy Treadwell. Imagine it? An entire book dedicated to whoopie pies, and all the different flavors you can make. I made the the classic, original chocolate, I am a classic kind of girl.  This recipe was dead on, tasted just just my moms. I hope you will give them a try. I think I am gonna have to try the pumpkin ones next...

Classic Chocolate Whoopie Pies

1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 egg 1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk

Classic Marshmallow Filling

1 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff
1 1/4 cups vegetable shortening
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tbsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Line baking sheets with parchments paper.
In a bowl sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt
In another bowl, beat butter, shortening, and sugar with the mixer on low speed until just combined. Increase speed to medium and beat about 3 minutes.
Add egg and vanilla and beat for two more minutes.
Add half of the flour mixture and half of the milk  and beat on low until incorporated. Repeat and beat until combined.
Using a tablespoon, drop the batter on baking sheet two inches apart. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the pies spring back when pressed gently.
Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.

While cooling completely start making your filling. Beat the marshmallow fluff and shortening together until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes, Reduce mixer speed to low and add confectioners' sugar and vanilla, beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

Using a knife or spoon (or offset spatula) spread filling onto the flat side of a cooled cake top with another cake, flat side down. Repeat with remaining cakes.




No comments:

Post a Comment