PW's Best Chocolate Sheet Cake Ever.

My husband also had a birthday this month, he told me he wanted The Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Sheet cake.  I was so happy. First because it's yummy.. really yummy, and second, it's EASY, like, I don't need to use my mixer easy. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my KitchenAid, we have a special bond, but there are days when I just don't want to mess with her, you know what I'm saying? So I made it, we loved it. I make it often, it's perfect to take to potlucks, it feeds a lot. If you haven't checked out The Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond) you need too. She is truly an inspiration, her recipes and photos are A M A Z I N G! She has a cookbook and her own cooking show on The Food Network. But if you don't check her out at least make this cake. She calls it The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake. Ever. Well, it's the only sheet cake I've ever made so yes, it's the best one I've ever made :)

Cake
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp salt
4 heaping Tbsp cocoa powder
2 sticks butter
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

Frosting
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans (I do not put the pecans in the frosting but instead sprinkle them on top)
1 3/4 stick butter
4 heaping Tbsp butter
6 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 pound (minus 1/2 cup) powdered sugar

In mixing bowl combine flour, sugar and salt.

In a saucepan, melt butter. Add cocoa. Stir together.
Add boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly to cool.
In a measuring cup, pour the buttermilk and add beaten eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes.
While cake is baking, make the icing. Chop pecans finely. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add cocoa, stir to combine, then turn off heat. Add the milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Stir together. Add the pecans, stir together, and pour over warm cake.




um, yes I felt it very necessary to show you three pictures of chocolate being poured onto cake. It's a beautiful sight isn't it?


No comments:

Post a Comment