Williams-Sonoma Apple Galette

I am not a patient baker, I am not a neat baker, usually my kitchen looks like an explosion took place after I am done baking. It's fine, it doesn't bother me. I don't do "pretty, dainty" desserts. I hate icing cakes, I love eating icing...I hate icing cakes, they never turn out "pretty" they taste good but they don't look so hot. Rustic is my middle name. SO when I saw this Apple Galette recipe I knew it was right up my alley. This is not an overly sweet dessert. I did not do the apricot jam part, I only had grape, that didn't sound good so I skipped it all together. The jam would make it a little sweeter. So,if you like rustic and don't do pretty, give this recipe a try.

Apple Galette

Dough
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
2 sticks cold butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/3 to 1/2 cup ice water

Filling
2 pounds apples (I used a variety) peeled, cored, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 eggs lightly beaten
sugar for sprinkling
1/4 cup apricot jam

Directions
If you have a food processor you can make the dough in that, I do not so I use my mixer using the paddle attachment. I add all the dry ingredients and mix on medium, them set to low and add the butter, continue mixing until the butter looks the size of peas. slowly add water until the dough looks like course meal. If you squeeze the dough with your hands it should come together but not be sticky. Turn dough our onto plastic wrap, for into a disk and chill for 1 hours.
Preheat oven to 400. place a baking sheet on the bottom rack of oven. Position another rack in the lower 3rd part of the oven. Line another baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper.
To make the filling, in a large bowl combine the apples, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch, salt. Set aside.
Remove dough from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface, into a 12 inch round. Place on prepared cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
Arrange the apple slices in the center of the dough, slightly mounding, leaving a 2 inch border. Gently fold the edges of the dough over the apples, pleating loosely. Brush dough with the beaten egg and sprinkle whole thing with sugar.
Bake until crust is golden and apples are tender. About 1 hour. Just before serving heat jam in a saucepan, brush the apples with the jam and let cool. Serve with whip cream. (Optional)





1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! That looks amazing! I have been dying to make an apple pie or something like it. :) My mom made the best apple pies ever! She used to win contests with her pies. Boy do I miss them!

    ReplyDelete