Chunky Apple Sauce

As much as I adore Spring and all the beautiful flowers and the warm weather, Autumn is my true love. I love the crisp air, shorter days, gorgeous leaves and the food. The soups, stews, root vegetables, something roasting in the oven for hours, then enjoyed in front of a crackling fire. Also with Autumn comes Apple season, so many varieties all so delicious when eaten at their peak. My brother and sister in law dropped of a huge bag of apples fresh from the orchard so I have a lot of  baking to do. I first started with a batch of applesauce. There is nothing better then home made apple sauce.

Recipe by Taste of home

8 cups peeled, chopped tart apples (about 3 1/2 pounds)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (if using sweeter apples use less sugar)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract

In a dutch oven combine the apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook over med-low heat until the apples are tender (30-40 minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, add vanilla, mash apples until desired texture is reached. Serve warm or cold.



No comments:

Post a Comment