Banana Cake

I actually think of this as banana bread, but the original recipe is called banana cake so there you have it. It is my second most favorite banana bread, my first favorite I have already shared with you all. I end up freezing bananas a lot because I always buy too many. I freeze some already peeled that I use for smoothies, then I freeze some in the peel that I have used for this recipe in a pinch, it works beautifully. Just let the bananas thaw on  a plate on the counter then peel and use, it will look like a wet mushy mess but trust me, it works!

Recipe by Lucinda Scala Quin

For the Cake
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 ripe bananas mashed

For the topping
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened

Directions
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Blend in the melted butter mixing together until moist. Add 1/4 cup buttermilk, combine.
In a separate bowl combine the other 1/4 buttermilk with the eggs and blend into the flour mixture, add vanilla and mashed bananas, beat for 1 minute. Place the batter in a greased 9X13 inch pan.
To make the topping, squeeze the flour, butter and brown sugar together with your hands. Crumble the topping evenly over the cake. Bake for 35-40 minutes or when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment