Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream

If you ever wondered what summer tastes like, it's these cupcakes. Make them...please.

Recipe by Forgiving Martha

3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
8 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp milk, room temperature
1 cup fresh blueberries

Frosting

 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
4 cups confectioner sugar, sifted
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Line cupcake pans with liners, set aside. In a medium bowl combine 3/4 cup flour, cake flour, baking soda, salt. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the butter, sugar, lemon zest. Beat until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.Beat in eggs one at a time blending well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and lemon juice. With mixer on low speed mix in 1/2 the dry ingredients until just incorporated. Blend in the milk. Add rest of dry ingredients and mix until just combined. In a small bowl mix the blueberries with remaining 2 Tbsp flour and gently fold them into batter. Divide batter evenly between paper liners. (I got 12 cupcakes out of this recipe) Bake 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Let cool in pans 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack. To make frosting cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy add lemon juice and zest and mix until incorporated. (I also added a splash of vanilla extract) add more sugar if needed to get the consistency you want. Frost cupcakes when completely cool.
*I would like to stress how important it is that your ingredients are room temperature. I rushed through my first batch and the lemon with the cold milk caused my batter to curdle. I also mixed the lemon juice with the vanilla and SLOWLY added it to the batter while it was mixing the second time around.




1 comment:

  1. At 5:00 AM when you posted this I was just starting my run. When I see this, it makes me want to ruin my run with some serious diet killing food. Lemon is one of my favorite tastes. Especially the lemon frosting.

    ReplyDelete