Cake Balls

These little guys are becoming so popular, you may see them on a stick and called cake pops, many cupcake shops, and Starbucks are starting to carry them. They are a cinch to make, and so versatile. Mine are not perfect, I don't do perfect desserts, you see I am an impatient baker...heck I am an impatient person. I don't have time for fancy, I could never be a cake decorator....EVER. I've heard there is a special fork you can get that helps the dipping into chocolate process go smoother. I have used toothpicks, spoons, forks whatever works. If you haven't tried these yet, I suggest you jump on the bandwagon, your welcome.

What you need is a box of cake mix, a container of icing, chocolate or vanilla bark. Pick any flavors that strikes your fancy. Mix and match, like I said, very versatile. I've done red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, and chocolate bark, yum. For these I used vanilla cake, lemon frosting and vanilla bark.

Bake the cake as directed on the box. I use a 13 X 9 pan. Let cool slightly, crumble the cake with a fork, add the container of frosting to the crumbled cake. Here's a tip. Cake balls are on the mushy side, if you want them less mushy, use less frosting. I would try only half the container, first time around. mix it together until incorporated. Roll into balls. This can be time consuming, and messy, if it's not rolling easily, try freezing the mix for an hour, once the balls are rolled, freeze them for several hours. Melt the bark in the microwave following the directions on the pkg. roll the balls into melted chocolate and place onto parchment paper to cool. if you want to embellish with sprinkles do that while the chocolate is still melted. Or you could melt a different color bark and drizzle that over the cooled balls. Store in airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment