Roast Chicken

Many friends I know are so intimidated by a whole chicken, it freaks them out, it's scary, it's gross. I am here to change your mind. Making chicken soup with a whole chicken was one of the first things I learned to make. (Thanks mom) Trust me, once you get past the heeby jeebys of sticking your hand inside that bird to rinse it out, it's so worth it! Nothing says, welcome, take a load off, have a drink, relax, stay awhile, more then a roast chicken. It's so easy and so delicious, meat on the bone always tastes so much better and more moist and it's more affordable. Once you get the hang of it, roast two together, shred the other for chicken salad or sandwiches.
Chicken is like a blank canvas you can make it your own. Below it my typical recipe but it varies slightly depending on the season or the ingredients I have on hand.

1 4-5 pound whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry.
4-5 carrots peeled and cut into 2 inch chucnks
5-6 potatoes halved if small quartered if large
2 onions quartered.
1 lemon
1 garlic clove
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 Tbsp softened butter
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Season the inside of your bird with salt and pepper (very important)
halve your lemon and place inside the bird
halve your garlic clove and place inside the bird along with the fresh thyme
place your vegetables in the bottom of a roasting pan drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper
place your (stuffed chicken) on top of vegetables
tuck wings under
tie legs if you want with kitchen twine I am usually to lazy to do this, it's fine.
rub bird with softened butter, all over. it's what makes the skin crispy and brown.
season the outside of bird with salt and pepper.
Roast in oven for about and hour and 1/2. Let rest a few minutes.

 For this chicken I did not have a lemon, but I had and orange I did not have thyme but I had rosemary, make it your own.

 I also decided I wanted mashed potatoes instead. Can I just say that NOTHING tastes as good as a roasted carrot?...candy people.
Don't be scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment